Monday, October 29, 2012

Spooktoberfest!

Candy corn, mini princesses, chocolate, pumpkins, tiny super heroes... Yup, it's my favorite time of year! It's Halloween! Dani of Entertaining Interests and Jackie of Bouquet of Books have put together an exciting contest they have dubbed 'Spooktoberfest'. They gave us five (5) words we had to use in a 300 word flash fiction story. Here's my attempt:


 Sexy costume, sky high heels, smoky, mesmerizing eyes. I was ready for the annual Halloween Masquerade Ball that was held every year at the chicest club in the city.  I put on my gold mask that was as light and lacy as cobwebs when I exited the taxi. It was anonymity from here on out.
The music was already bumping when I went in. Ghosts and ghouls were writhing against Arabian princesses. Frankenstein was leading a Playboy bunny to a dark corner. Everyone who was anyone was there, but no one knew who was who. Between the costumes and the masks, you couldn’t be sure who you were standing next to. That was the point of course, to be able to let go of your inhibitions and let your needs and desires out for one night. To be free without the rules and dictations of society to bring you down to reality.
Sporadically placed jack-o-lanterns were brought to life with the glow of a candle. Cauldrons overflowed with fog, making the floor disappear. I steered clear of the Halloween themed drinks. You couldn’t let your senses be dulled in a place as seductive as this. The tempo of the music changed from energizing and blaring to smooth, slow, and mysterious.
Someone took my hand and pulled me onto the dance floor. I looked up into the greenest eyes I had ever seen, surrounded by a solid black mask. His gaze was so intense, I felt as if he had used a razor to cut through and see into my soul. I let him mold himself to me as we swayed to the music. When the song finished, he took off his mask, revealing someone I never would have guessed in a million years.


Well, there's a mysterious Halloween romance for all of you! Have a fun and safe holiday!

5 comments:

Tonja Drecker said...

I like the way you built in the words... and the descriptions! I almost felt like I was really there. Thanks for the trip :)

Jackie said...

Gah! Who was under the mask?!
Great descriptions here. Nice work!

Thanks for participating in our blogfest. :D

Dani said...

*fanning myself* awesome discriptions! I could picture it all. How did he know who you were?! I mean he had to know who you were to reveal himself; did he not? So good!

Sarah said...

Ah! A cliffhanger! The perfect cherry on top of your Spooktoberfest sundae! It'll keep me wondering for the rest of the night.

Mina Lobo said...

WHO WAS IT, WHO, WHO, WHO?????

Dang, I can't believe I missed reading this, and I was pretty sure I'd hit all the blogs of folks who participated in the bloghop! I dig the way you painted this scene...makes me wish I'd been at a party with some green-eyed hottie myself! :-)
Mina's Resurrection Blogfest!

Post a Comment

Thoughts from super awesome people!